A matte paint should be covered with a matte clear coat. The latter creates a micro-rough finish that doesn’t let light pass through, thus minimizing the sheen of the matte paint beneath.
However, what if you apply a gloss clear coat over a matte paint? Would it turn glossy or would it stay matte? That’s what we are going to find out in today’s article.
Table of Contents
- Achieving a Glossy Finish on Matte Paint: Is It Possible?
- Gloss Over Matte: What to Expect
- Will Gloss Clear Coat Affect My Matte Paint’s Color?
- The Pros of Gloss Clear Coat on Matte Paint
- Can Gloss Clear Coat Revive My Dull Matte Paint?
- Essential Considerations Before Applying Gloss Clear Coat to Matte Paint
- Choosing the Best Gloss Clear Coat for Matte Paint: A Step-by-Step Guide
- Professional Tips for Applying Gloss Clear Coat to Matte Paint
- Common Pitfalls to Avoid When Combining Gloss Clear Coat and Matte Paint
- Undoing a Mistake: Removing Gloss Clear Coat from Matte Paint
Achieving a Glossy Finish on Matte Paint: Is It Possible?
First of all, let’s start with a compatibility check of these two paints. A gloss clear coat can be applied over matte paint.
And even though the gloss clear coat will add a layer of protection over the matte paint, you may not be very pleased with the result. In the case of matte paint, it’s advisable to choose a clear coat that is flat or has a low level of gloss.
Gloss Over Matte: What to Expect
The first thing that happens when you apply a gloss clear coat over matte paint is that it transforms the matte finish into a glossier one.
Matte paint has a dull and non-reflective texture. So, when you cover it with a gloss clear coat, you add more reflection to the surface and that’s why it changes the finish into either gloss or semi-gloss.
A gloss clear coat increases the shine of matte paint. And that will be counterintuitive considering that most people who are into matte paint enjoy the dull finish. So, the bottom line is that a gloss clear coat will make matte paint glossier.
Will Gloss Clear Coat Affect My Matte Paint’s Color?
Texture isn’t the only thing you should be worried about when applying a gloss clear coat over matte paint. This procedure can also change the color of your matte paint in the following ways;
• A gloss clear coat will intensify the color of matte paint. As a result, it will appear to be more vibrant than before.
• Also, a gloss clear coat will add more reflective properties to matte paint thus making the color more vivid.
• On matte paint, a gloss clear coat can significantly increase the level of sheen.
• There are certain scenarios where a gloss clear coat turns matte paint yellowish.
So, as you apply a gloss clear coat over matte paint, expect some color changes.
The Pros of Gloss Clear Coat on Matte Paint
Apart from changing the appearance of your matte paint from dull to glossy, a gloss clear coat comes with a couple of benefits which include;
• Better Protection Against Scratches and the Elements: Clear coat is still clear coat. It doesn’t matter whether it’s glossy or matte.
As long as it’s applied correctly, it will add a layer of protection that will keep the matte paint safe from scratches, UV rays, rain, and much more.
• It’s Easier to Maintain: Unlike matte clear coats that have a rough finish, glossy clear coats are much smoother and therefore easier to clean.
• It Can Make Your Car’s Exterior Look More Unique: Most people either go with gloss or matte. But if you have both, you’ll be able to create contrast.
This can help improve the uniqueness of your car’s exterior finish. Some might even call this creativity.
• Aesthetic Appeal: If you’re no longer interested in the matte finish, applying a gloss clear coat can change the look of your car and make it more aesthetically appealing.
Can Gloss Clear Coat Revive My Dull Matte Paint?
In case you have a car with a worn-out matte finish, you can use a gloss clear coat to revive it. A gloss clear coat can add shine to matte paint thus making it appear livelier.
As I was saying earlier, a gloss clear coat can also enhance the color of the matte paint and make it appear more vivid and vibrant. A gloss clear coat smooths the surface of matte paint and adds reflectivity properties.
Please note that a gloss clear coat can only revive slightly worn-out matte paint. If the damage to your matte paint is excessive, the only option you have is to paint it afresh.
Essential Considerations Before Applying Gloss Clear Coat to Matte Paint
Should you feel the urge to go ahead with applying a gloss clear coat over matte paint, I have compiled a few factors that you need to keep in mind.
• Changes in aesthetics: The first thing you have to know is that the matte finish will turn from dull into glossy or semi-glossy.
• Compatibility: You need to figure out what matte paint is made of. Is it water-based or acrylic? Knowing this information is crucial in figuring out which gloss clear coat it’s most compatible with.
• Proper Application: Next, you need to ensure that you follow the correct application techniques. Start by cleaning the surface of the matte paint.
And I heavily recommend testing the gloss clear coat on an inconspicuous area. Please identify a suitable application technique. You could opt to roll, brush, or spray.
Choosing the Best Gloss Clear Coat for Matte Paint: A Step-by-Step Guide
To help you figure out the best clear coat for matte paint, here are a few things you need to keep in mind;
• Always go for reputable brands.
• Check if the ingredients of the gloss clear coat are compatible with matte paint.
• Don’t ignore customer reviews.
• Consider the level of gloss. Different clear coats have varying gloss levels. Your decision here will be based on your aesthetic preferences.
If you’re having trouble figuring out what is the best gloss clear coat for matte paint, you can consult with your favorite auto paint shop.
These are the guys you should also hire to paint the gloss clear coat over the matte paint. That is if you lack basic painting skills and experience.
Professional Tips for Applying Gloss Clear Coat to Matte Paint
To get the best results when applying a gloss clear coat over matte paint, here are tips you should follow;
• Gloss clear coat should always be applied on a clean and dry matte paint surface. This is the only way you’ll get strong adhesion.
• Make sure that the gloss clear coat is mixed thoroughly to ensure consistency.
• Apply even and thin coats of gloss clear coat.
• Give each coat enough time to dry. Confirm this with the manufacturer.
• You could sand the gloss clear coat to get a smoother finish.
Common Pitfalls to Avoid When Combining Gloss Clear Coat and Matte Paint
Because a gloss clear coat isn’t the recommended paint to use on a matte finish, there are a couple of problems that may creep in. They include;
• Change in texture: This is when the matte paint turns from dull to glossy. This can be quite irritating especially if you are a matte enthusiast.
• Color change: Gloss clear coat, as mentioned earlier will change some matte color paints. This can affect overall aesthetics.
• Appearance of surface imperfections: Because the gloss clear coat reflects more light, you can expect imperfections such as scratches to be more visible.
• Bonding problems: The difference in texture between these two finishes can affect adhesion and lead to flaking or delamination.
Undoing a Mistake: Removing Gloss Clear Coat from Matte Paint
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but this process is irreversible. When you apply a gloss clear coat over matte paint, these two bond on a molecular level. Therefore, going back to the original matte finish is somewhat impractical.
To remove the glossy clear coat, you will need to either use a paint remover or wet sanding. Both methods have a high chance of stripping the mate paint beneath. I wouldn’t advise you to apply a gloss clear coat over matte paint if you’re unsure.